The IEP & Co-Teaching : The IEP Meeting

Thursday, July 2, 2015
Talk about a week! We started with posts that helped me get in the groove at the beginning of the year and moved steadily onwards to getting my co-teachers onboard, organizing my resources for the IEP, FBA and BIP, and now ... the IEP meeting itself.

I'm sure a lot of seasoned professionals are probably saying "she does too much." Yep, I get that a lot. Before we move on to todays post, let me justify why I've set up this system - because I am a disorganized hot mess. I'll own up to it! I can even make a support group if I find enough people.

Let's face it, now that I've got all this stuff... what about the meeting? Everything I've posted has led to the IEP meeting because this is when it matters. I was a complete mess my first meeting. I didn't know what to bring or what to do. I'm sure my case manager was just being super nice when she said I was doing okay.

Check out what I've learned since then and what I currently bring below.


Here's what I learned:

  • Most effective meetings last no more than 20 minutes.
  • Get the squad (all services, translators, etc) under control - no random, lengthy tangents about how they believe geometry is not important.
  • Parents will zone out within 5 minutes without visuals (this does not include the involved parents)
Oh hay, visuals you say? What's she doing now?!

Yeah, I bring a lot of visuals for the parents. The picture below shows what I generally bring. Everything is labeled with a number. If you want to find out what it is or why I bring it find the number below the picture.


PICTURED:
  1. IEP binder
    • Everything I have is in here! Focus on: F&P Levels, NWEA Test Scores
  2. IEP-At-A-Glance
    • I've talked about this so much in so many posts that you can look back at the old posts to find out more. If you're new, it's a great takeaway for parents to have when the meeting is over. During the meeting, the parent can follow along and see what is being done for the student in the "how this will be met" section.
  3. BIP-At-A-Glace
    • The flowchart is so easy to use when presenting the new BIP to parents and colleagues. 
  4. Test Scores
    • Numbers need to be explained to parents, you can't just throw it at them and expect them to understand.
  5. Books on students level vs books that students are reading at grade level
    • Sometimes parents just need to see what the student is capable of versus where they should be. This really helps the parents find books for students and it starts a good conversation about needs and what I'm doing for the student.
  6. Extras (i.e. independent functioning, socio-emotional, etc.)
    • Here I have some of the executive functioning worksheets I planned on using with a student. It's always a good thing to show parents what you're doing so that you don't get the "what are you doing" phone call later on.
NOT PICTURED:
  1. Student work at the beginning of the year vs. present day work
    • Show off their progress! Little progress? Show the parents what the student can do to grow more!
  2. iPad to show accommodations/ modifications
    • Sometimes a parent wants to know what's going on in the classroom. It's an optional piece, I only bring it when I know it would truly benefit for the parent to see how much I'm on my A game/ how much time I've spent ensuring that their child is getting the best that I can provide.
  3. Laptop to show the IEP
    • We don't have a projector, so I basically use it to go through the entire IEP. At times, I will show the parent what I'm referring to if they seem like they need something to read as I speak.



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top