CamScanner App

Tuesday, July 14, 2015
A lot of time was spent in the beginning of the year trying to make modifications to handouts that my co-teachers only had hard copies of or were copied directly out of the book. This meant I spent a lot of time on Google Docs trying to make a handout that contained the same information. At times, I had to cut things out and tape them to an empty part of the handout to ensure that the content was the same. Who hasn't done that?! 

Lets face it, "don't nobody got time for that!" I needed an easier way of getting the same content (i.e. maps, graphs, etc), so that I could properly modify (more concise directions, using the students strengths, reorganizing steps, eliminating unnecessary information). 

The CamScanner app takes a picture of whatever you need to run a copy of or want sections of, and creates a pdf of it. You know what this means ... if you've got a printer in the classroom, no more running to the teacher's lounge to run copies/ wait in line to run copies! Here's how it's done.
STRICTLY FOR COPIES:
CamScanner App on the phone - it's easier for me
using my phone, it's always around! 
Once you access it, click on the camera and
take a picture of whatever your heart desires!





















Once you've scanned what you need, you can begin editing the image. I usually just click B&W and it turns into what it would've looked like if you used the copy machine. Sometimes it has a mind of its own and crops things out or doesn't automatically change from an picture to a copy. That's when the re-edit button is most handy. It'll bring you back to the original picture and you can crop whatever you like or click on the B&W option.

For a math worksheet, I really liked how this workbook had fill in the blank
sections to the formula and the images it had.
Now comes the organization and emailing it to yourself part. Since I scanned two pages, I bundled it and renamed it so I could easily locate it later, if necessary. 

Tap the area that says "new doc" and rename it.
After renaming it and bundling it, I'll email it
(bottom right) to myself to print.






















FOR MODIFICATIONS/ACCOMMODATIONS:
Once it's emailed to me, I paste it into Google Docs and start working. We didn't work on the pages I had scanned, so you're going to see a different math worksheet. However, it is based off of a worksheet I had scanned from the same book. 

The orange boxes indicate what I liked from the worksheet:
how they broke down the steps and the image/ problem for reference.
I really liked the image that the workbook provided, and the format that they used to assist students in solving the problem, but I was not a big fan of the small font and the language used. In addition, I liked having the formula on top for students to reference and I wanted guided notes and not a worksheet for independent work. So I cropped the worksheet to the first image I wanted, changed the directions, spaced everything out, changed the size of the font, and added a huge formula at the top as a gentle reminder. 

As I continued making these guided notes, I kept using the same scanned worksheet, but cropping out the problems and images. Boom. Same content, same problems, but accommodated to meet the students need. 

How could I modify it? If I had a student whose IEP goal was to identify the correct formula to solve, I'd just use the images. I could easily make it a "Find the Error" assignment and have students go through the solved problem and determine what what went wrong. This could also be a puzzle where students are given the steps out of order and they have to identify which step goes where. Maybe you just want the student to multiply - set up the problem but put some space for the student to show their work. I mean the list is endless and all individualized based on the students goals.

Final say: CamScanner for easy copies/ electronic files/ accommodations & modifications

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top