The IEP & Co-teaching: Resources to Write the IEP

Sunday, June 28, 2015
If there is a pro IEP writer out there, please feel free to contact me. Tell me all your secrets!

Let's face it, writing the IEP is the most grueling activity ever - not because I don't know the student, not because I'm being lazy, but because it's so comprehensive that it's exhausting. 

As the year progressed, I quickly got the flow down, but I was a disorganized mess. I had all my IEP materials and references in a pile on my desk. So, I made it a goal to put together an IEP writing reference binder. I finally put it together ... at my last IEP meeting. As long as I accomplished my goal right? Take a look at what I put together!

Flexible binder for the days when you're just shoving things into your bag.
Here's an index:


Teacher Handouts:
  • IEP-At-A-Glance
  • In-depth Student Report
    (haven't used this yet, but it looks pretty legit)
IEP-At-A-Glance and the In-Depth Student Report. I'll talk about the left pocket later.
Student Handouts:

  • Student Self-Assessment Surveys
Math (J.Runde), General (J.Snider), Difficulties (unknown)
IEP Reference Sheets


  • IEP Helper
    (Download link of a breakdown of everything you need to include in each section of the IEP - SUPER INFORMATIVE)

It's six pages long, so I only took a picture of the first page.
Accommodations & Modifications

  • Checklist
    (It's a list of the most used mods or accommodations in the school. I check off what students need so I don't get too trigger happy when checking off things on this section of the IEP document)
  • Testing Accommodations

General Accommodations/ Modifications (J.Snider) and Assessment Accommodations (NWEA?).
Testing Data (Curriculum)




F&P Levels
Student Intervention Sheet

F&P Student Abilities sheet


Testing Data (District)
  • NWEA Testing Data
NWEA Score Projections and Student scores
Promotion Criteria 


  • Correct Promotion Criteria formats

Great resource for writing promotion criteria.

Personally, I use the back pocket to store items (my IEP folder, IEP-At-A-Glance, assignments, assessments, books students are reading, etc) that I'm going to show during my next IEP meeting. I usually bring the entire binder to the meeting to get real visual with parents. It's so much easier to show parents what Fountas and Pinnell levels are when it's color coded and in a graph format vs. verbally telling them the students level and trying to explain the purpose of these levels.

Visuals that I used for my last IEP meeting.

Let me know if this helped you! How do you organize yourself for IEP writing?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top