Math Choice Board Menu (PT3)

Friday, June 12, 2015
After all that prepping, you might ask .. what about our students disabilities/ diverse learners?

Lets face it, if you're not differentiating your lessons, you're not doing your job. It doesn't matter if you're teaching gen. ed, special ed, martians, dinosaurs, and/or inanimate objects. If you can't adjust your teaching to meet student needs -- we've got an issue.

As previously stated, my co-teacher and I co-planned this lesson. When we were deciding what tasks to add to the choice board menu, we focused on student strengths, especially our students with disabilities. So who are these students? These are students who have a deficit in (I've also attached the statements they made via e-mail for a clarification/ pure entertainment):

  • material management - "I wrote out the number line from -100 to +100 with fractions on one single sheet of paper" or "Ms.N I lost the third graph patch you gave me"
  • time management - "It's due TOMORROW?!"
  • identifying appropriate study strategies - "I chose [insert math concept], I looked at it and it was hard."
  • goal setting - "I didn't finish the project because I wanted to finish science homework."
  • decision making - "[insert best friends name] chose the story, I'm not good at writing, but I want to sit next to her so I want the story."
  • learning strategies - "Ms. N I learn better when I'm drawing. Can I write a poem?" or "I know I'm not good at measuring cause there's those numbers with dots in them, but I chose the measuring one. Can I switch?"
So how did I modify? Here's examples based on my caseload (i.e. reduced, modified, more time, assignments based on IEP goals, etc):

A student working on his number line after some executive functioning help.
His self-portrait with plotted points.
A small section of his number line.
  • Task 1 (Song, Rap, Poem) - I had students write out the steps to solve the concept, pick a beat/song, and worked with them to sing/rap. If they chose a poem, we worked together to find words that rhymed.
  • Task 2 (Lesson Plans) - I created a basic graphic organizer for students to fill out.
  • Task 3 (Self-Portrait) - I provided a graph patch (a pre-made, graph sticker) for students to use. They had to complete a rough sketch with some plotted points before they earned it.
  • Task 4 (Number line) - We brainstormed what materials to use, what steps to make, and used a counting math (negatives and positives) for some students.
  • Task 5 (Card Game) - I had pre-made set of 20 cards for students and we sat down to brainstorm ideas, then wrote out the instructions together. Afterwards, students would find problems to include in the game. They would solve each on the back of the card.

Using a graphic organizer, he made a script for the ShowMe App.
An anchor chart for whole number operations.
























  • Task 6 (Survey) - A graphic organizer that included pre-made tally chart, histogram, and dot plot was given to the student.
  • Task 7 (ShowMe iPad App) - I used an awesome graphic organizer from Dr. Radner (more on her awesome work later) that had students choose a problem, solve it on one side, and write out the steps on the other. This was later used as a script.
  • Task 8 (Anchor Chart) - I used the same graphic organizer from the ShowMe task. Once students completed it, they copied the same format on to poster paper.
  • Task 9 (Measure this Classroom) - Since my students had reduced, modified work on their IEP, they had the option of taking a pre-drawn map of the classroom and measuring the highlighted parts. One of the students (who will probably draw great things in her life), decided to draw out the classroom on her own.
  • Task 10 (Frayer Model) - A pre-made booklet was created with vocabulary words chosen for the students to define, find a non-example, find an example, and to illustrate (solve a problem)
  • Task 11 (Color-by-Number) - I had students search for a coloring book image online. print it, identify the colors they needed, and find problems based on their math concepts to use/ solve.
  • Task 12 (Story) - Co-Writer. Hands. Down. Solves. All. Problems. 






0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top